It’s the start of the season for giving and gratefulness (or so it has been said). What is it about the drop in temperature that gives us an immediate sense of change, this new sense of what is happening around us and how grateful we are for everything. It just hits us!
It's true, isn't it?
These days, it often feels like we're living in a world made entirely of disasters and conflicts. It's tough to wrap our heads around the very real tragedies happening out there.
But you know what's incredible?
Even in the midst of all that, we're on a quest to find pockets of joy, even in the tiniest of moments. It's like a coping mechanism, a way to keep our spirits up in the face of unimaginable challenges.
Sometimes, comedy helps (as Pete Davidson reminded us on SNL a few weeks ago). Sometimes it can be about the gratefulness of being able to give or just giving what you can. It’s rooted in the positive emotions and benefits it brings to both the giver and the recipients, as well as the broader impact it has on the world.
I’ve noticed that when I check out now at basically any store, I have the ability to round up to help a cause. It may not be a lot, but I do it.
Sometimes it’s nice to be reminded of how many benefits come from giving… here are just a few:
- That Good Feeling: Giving back and supporting charitable causes? It's like a hug for the soul. It gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from knowing you're making a positive impact on someone's life. It's like a happiness generator. Knowing you've put a smile on someone's face, be it your own or someone else's, is pure joy.
- Connecting the Dots: Giving brings people together. It's like a super glue for building connections and a sense of community. When you give, you're joining forces with others for a common cause, and that tightens bonds and strengthens relationships.
- Kindness is Contagious: Acts of giving often start with a simple dose of empathy and compassion. It's all about understanding what others might be going through and taking action to lend a hand.
- Sharing the Good Vibes: It's a way of showing gratitude for the good stuff in your own life. Giving is like saying, "Hey, I'm thankful for what I have, and I want to share that goodness with others."
- You've Got the Power: Giving empowers you. It shows that even one person can make a real difference in someone else's life.
- Changing the World: Lots of individuals get excited about giving because it's like magic and that magic can transform the world. It tackles big issues and makes the world a better place, one good deed at a time.
- Pure Goodness: Altruism, which is basically the fancy word for being selflessly concerned about others, is a huge motivator. People just want to help those who need it.
- Personal Growth Journey: Giving isn't just about the world; it's about you too. It's a way to develop qualities like generosity, kindness, and a sense of social responsibility. It's a journey of personal growth.
So, is there excitement about giving?
I believe so! I believe that it’s not just about just being kind; it's about the amazing feeling you get and the ripple effect of goodness you create.
So, if you can donate during this season of giving, I urge you to do so. If you can volunteer, volunteer! If you have the means to give funds, give! Maybe just paying for the person in line behind you's drink makes you happy. Whatever your preferred form of giving is, I encourage it!
Imagine what it does for humanity as a whole when we remember how amazing the gratefulness of giving truly is!