We LOVE this event each year! Read, watch or listen but click the links below and enjoy some amazing fashion and laughs.In this episode we discuss:
- What is the Met Gala (Back Story)
- Theme: “Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty,”
- Vogue’s Latest Front Cover Suggests Specific Models will be Attending
- Discuss This year’s Co-chairs (Michaela Coel, Penélope Cruz, Roger Federer and Dua Lipa) & Discuss the Livestream Hosts ( La La Anthony, Derek Blasberg & Chloe Fineman)
- How to Get an Invite to The Met Gala
- Our Fashion Favorites
- The Inside Scoop on the Gala
READ MORE BELOW and SEE THE RED CARPET
WATCH FULL EPISODE ON YOUTUBE
What is the Met Gala (Back Story)
The Met Gala is a charity fundraiser held the first Monday of May to benefit the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute, and to celebrate the newest fashion-related exhibition each year.
It’s also the fashion world’s hottest social event, not just anyone can buy a ticket just because it’s a charity event. The guest list, since 1995, has been carefully presided over by Vogue editor Anna Wintour and her team, with only around 600 people making the list each year.
Theme: “Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty,”
A theme is chosen each year - 2023 Theme is….“Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty,”
The legendary designer sadly passed away in 2019, aged 85. He was one of the most prolific and celebrated fashion designers of all time and has headed up some of the biggest fashion houses in the world, including Fendi, Chanel and his own namesake label, all three of which he acted as creative director for until his death. (Article by Amy De Klerk for Harper's Bazaar)
A clear way to pay tribute to the designer would be to wear one of his own creations, choosing a vintage piece from one of the houses he designed for; including Chloé, Chanel, Fendi, Jean Patou or indeed something from the time he worked under Pierre Balmain. (Article by Amy De Klerk for Harper's Bazaar)
Vogue’s Latest Front Cover Suggests Specific Models will be Attending
And, the latest issue of American Vogue also signals some clues as to who will be attending. As a celebration of the Met Gala, the issue pays tribute to Karl Lagerfeld with the cover featuring 10 models he loved working with the most, who have been shot in works by 10 different designers, all been inspired by Lagerfeld. Models; Anok Yai, Shalom Harlow, Kendall Jenner, Liu Wen, Adut Akech, Natalia Vodianova, Naomi Campbell, Amber Valletta, Gigi Hadid, and Devon Aoki appear on the cover, and will therefore most likely be attending the big event. (Article by Amy De Klerk for Harper's Bazaar)
A single ticket costs some $50,000 though designers may opt to buy an entire table for at least $300,000.
Although it has been said that tickets can start at $35,000. The tickets seem to range in price…most likely depending on the buyer.
This year’s Co-chairs:
(Michaela Coel, Penélope Cruz, Roger Federer and Dua Lipa) & Discuss the Livestream Hosts ( La La Anthony, Derek Blasberg & Chloe Fineman)
This year’s co-chairs include Emmy-award winning British screenwriter and actress Michaela Coel, Penélope Cruz, Swiss tennis player Roger Federer and Dua Lipa. They will join Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour, who has organized the event since 1995.
Their role consists of helping create the guest list, a menu for the evening and assisting interior designers with the decor, according to the Hollywood Reporter. (Article by Evan Nicole Brown from the Hollywood Reporter)
There is no phone and no social media policy. However, some do post a selfie or two.
How to Get an Invite to The Met Gala
- Donate Money
- Be an “It Celebrity
- Date Someone Super Famous
- Become a TikTok Star
- Work at Vogue
- Perform at the Gala (or date said performer)
- Sponsor the Gala (Example: Amazon)
- Beg Anna Wintour to Buy a Ticket (Example: Kate Upton supposedly paid $25k for an individual seat to the Gala)
- Be a celebrity Publicist
- Be the Child of Anna Wintoour (Bee Shaffer or Charlie)
- Become a Waiter
- (Article by Leah Bourne in StyleCaster)
Our Fashion Favorites
- Anne Hathaway - Versace designed the dress - Tweed, Tweed Gloves, Rosette Bust Line, Pearl and Safety Pin Detail cutout with amazing hair by Orlando Pita (used Vintage Hairpin) and Bvlgari Jewelry
- Carla Bruni-Sarközy de Nagy-Bocsa - Stated that Karl had told her…Death doesn't exist you just go into another room
- Naomi Campbell - Wore a pink gown from Chanel's spring/summer 2010 couture collection. The dress featured silky pink fabric draped over one shoulder, plus a shimmering silver sequin bodice and matching silver trim. The rest of her ensemble added more silver accents, with various silver arm cuffs and metallic strappy heels.
- Chloe Fineman - Asking Naomi how many times she has attended and she stated 16 years and Chloe responded “I was a sophomore in high school”
- Maude Apatow - Black Cutout Arrow Dress by Chloe
- Olivia Wilde - Wore a Dress made by Chloé’s current designer Gabriela Hearst based on a 1983 design Lagerfeld made while spearheading the French house
- Rihanna and A$AP Rocky in Valentino and Bvlgari Jewelry
- Jenna Ortega - Wore a gown by Thom Browne and Marli Jewelry (Platform Oxfords))
- Gigi Hadid - Wore a gown designed by Givenchy, LAGOS jewelry and Smiling Rocks diamond necklace
- Kylie Jenner - Wore a Red Jean Paul Gaultier Gown and Mara Tash Jewelry
- Kendall Jenner - Wore a Bodysuit by Marc Jacobs and Wolford (Platform Boots)
- Bad Bunny - Wore a tweed all white suit with open back suit by Jacquemus and a cape with a long, floral train.
- Kim Kardashian - Wore a Gown by Schiaparelli - Dripping in pearls and corset (almost skims like)
- Jennifer Lopez - Wore a custom Ralph Lauren gown with a black bodice and pale pink skirt with matching opera gloves and a netted hat
- Florence Pugh - Wore a Valentino gown with elaborate black feathered headpiece and newly shaven head
- Salma Hayek- Wore a Gucci gown- Red Patent Leather Bodice with pearls off sides and tulle tiered skirt
- Nicole Kidman - Wore a Chanel Haute Couture gown from 2004. The dress was worn in an iconic Chanel No. 5 commercial from the same year, directed by Baz Luhrmann. The dress was pink silk tulle and embroidered with 250 pink ostrich feathers, and over 3,000 silver crystals and sequins.
- Emma Chamberlain - Wore a Miu Miu cropped blazer and matching baby blue floor-length skirt and headband. She quickly switched her look at the top of the carpet into a similar look in black, with a Miu Miu cropped undershirt for her hosting duties. Absolutely loved the smokey blue eyes!
- Lil Nas X - Wore a Silver Ensemble by Dior
- Stella McCartney -
- Emily Blunt - Wore Michael Kors a beautiful pair of hand-sequined trousers with a matching duchesse satin overskirt with hand-embroidered, scattered sequins and a white lace shirt with bow and rosette
- Jared Leto - Dressed as Chaupette with actual cat head
- Doja Cat - Dressed as Chaupette in Oscar de la Renta - Included Prosthetics on Face for Cat Like appearance
- Elle Fanning - Wore a lace Vivienne Westwood gown with a black bolero jacket. She wore her hair down in loose waves and accessorized with a flower crown with black ribbons and a bouquet of fresh flowers
- Aubrey Plaza - Wore a white Stella McCartney gown with chain cutout details and leather gloves and Jimmy Choo shoes - Loved the winged eyeliner
- Billie Eilish - Wore a sheer black lingerie gown by Simone Rocha Gown and Cartier jewelry
- Gisele Bündchen - Wore a Chanel gown cut from white silk tulle and embroidered with vertical stripes of sequins—was the bridal look in Karl Lagerfeld’s spring 2007 Chanel couture show. Gisele wore it for a fashion editorial that same year.
- Dua Lupita - Wore a princess-style gown from Chanel’s 1992 Fall Couture collection. The dress is made out of Chanel’s signature tweed material and features a cream fabric with black trim and a fringe hemline. I loved the necklace from Tiffany & Co. - I believe it has never been worn?
- Cara Delevingne - Wore a Karl Lagerfeld white minidress that featured a plunging V-neckline, mid-thigh hem, and gigantic, floor-sweeping cape and a pair of black leather thigh-high leg warmers (complete with zippered split hems), matching fingerless leather gloves,silver jewelry, and simple black Stuart Weitzman
- Kate and Lila Moss - Both wore Fendi - Kate wore a Fendi Couture/Spring Summer 2023 look that was created exclusively for her by Kim Jones, featuring a detachable pink sleeve and sexy lingerie-inspired lace. Lila wore a dress from the Fendi Couture fall/winter 2018-19 gown by the icon himself.
- The dress is made of marabou feathers treated to appear as fur, the voluminous shapes of the upper and lower sections were joined by a transparent, net, silk embroidered bustier. Gorgeous!
- Kerry Washington - Wore a sheer black floral lace two-piece by Michael Kors, featuring a hand-beaded bandeau and tulle rumba skirt. Supposedly took 1,000 hours to hand-embroider the ensemble, which features 135,000 recycled sequins.
- Rita Ora arrived with her husband Taika Waititi - She wore a Prabal Gurung sheer black gown that featured a corset bodice that had its boning with see-through fabric. The gown included two long panels and Rita had her hands covered in rings, but even her manicure was embellished with long fringe, and a coordinating lacy choker with embellishments.
- Emily Ratajkowski - Wore a sheer nude Tory Burch gown with a feathered clutch and Fred Leighton jewelry. She styled her hair half up in a ponytail and curled with statement short blunt bangs. Makeup-wise, Ratajkowski opted for a nude lip and dramatic lined cat-eye. The dress mimics the sewing of a chanel handbag
- Amber Valetta - Wore a gown by design director Hun Kim at Karl Lagerfeld - the gown was inspired by one of Lagerfeld’s favorite accessories: the fans he was known to carry with himself in the 80s and 90s.
- The body of the gown features an elegant fan-shaped top and skirt, with deep cut-outs on the waist for a more feminine silhouette. The sunburst-style design is crafted from pleated white mesh, with black beaded over-pleats. A detachable, pleated silk-satin cape made the look ethereal and was completed with a thick necklace resting on her collar bones.
- Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Nick Jonas - Both wore Valentino and Bulgari jewelry - After being interviewed Nic was “Thanking Vogue” loved this!
- Lily Collins - Wore a custom Vera Wang light ivory and black silk lingerie-inspired ball gown with trapunto stitch details, separate draped sleeves and a center slit on the skirt; all accented by a silver sequin "KARL" embroidery at the hem. I loved that diamond necklace from Cartier. The shape was perfect with the gown!
- Jeremy Scott & Devon Aiko - Jeremy Scott combined a Chloé dress he did with black jet beaded trompe-l’oeil folds, and mixed this idea with a white winged leather minidress he had designed. Devon told a story about Karl and how she forgot to bring her size 36 shoes that he had specially made for her and Karl let her go barefoot on the runway.
- Penelope Cruz - Wore a pale blue Chanel ball gown, adorned with gemstones cascading down the layered skirt as well as sequins and pearls on the bodice, a romantic translucent organza hood trimmed with silver sequins, gemstone drop earrings and a leather belt. Loved the slicked back bun!
- This design was inspired by the Chanel Haute Couture Spring/Summer 1988 collection.
- Jessica Chastain - Wore a Gucci tiered black strapless gown with sheer detailing, paired with sheer black opera gloves, a standout cocktail ring, a statement necklace and cool black shades. Loved the platinum wig!
- Rachel Bronson - Wore a Sergio Hudson gown sheer mesh with just a hint of a cover up channeling dress images from a ‘90s show that Karl did for Chloe where there was a lot black mesh - It’s a night where everyone is wearing wearable art
- Jennifer Connely
- Margot Robbie - Wore a one-shoulder Chanel gown, which centers on a transparent corset with gold chain boning, is a recreation of the 1993 original famously worn by supermodel Cindy Crawford.
- Mindy Kapling
- Tommy Hilfiger - Tommy Hilfiger’s tailor Denis Frison found a vintage Chanel bouclé fabric from which he made the designer a suit in a deep navy, red and white blend. Hilfiger wore: a gift from Karl, from Lagerfeld’s own personal closet.
- “It’s one of his famous high collared shirts he had made in England many years ago.
- Dee Ocleppo with Tommy Hilfiger - Loved her Polka dot Sheer gloves, the make-up made to look like a mask and the dress designed by Tommy Hilfiger
- Sydney Sweeney - Wore a pink beaded Miu Miu gown with a gauzy black bow above the hem - big black bow in hair channeling Claudia Schiffer
- Amanda Seyfried - Wore an Oscar de la Renta gold chainmail minidress, matching gold heels, a statement red lip, and Cartier jewelry. Her blonde hair styled in voluminous waves- AMAZING!
Overall a beautiful Gala encompassing black and white ensembles, vintage Chanel and designers designing gowns throwing their own signature touches in with Karl’s signature looks to make pieces that were truly beautiful and memorable.
Thank you again for joining us! As we leave you to go take on the world - We hope this podcast has helped in some way open your mind to new ideas, help you generate your creativity, encourage you to call your friends and has ultimately added a little more happiness into your day!
Again thanks for tuning into Style and Give’s Weekly Podcast with Rachel and Tera … we will be coming at you weekly with the latest fashion ideas and news, style updates, life’s challenges, life’s wins, our giving hearts, a whole lot of laughter and of course ….positive vibes.
Reminder if you need to get styled, need a closet edit or just want to go shopping check please check out teracoughlinstyling.com and for your circular fashion needs please check out Style and Give.
Join us for the fashion talk, life as we know it, hilarious commentating and of course a high dose of positivity!
As we leave you today,
We are All One. So be Good and Give!
LISTEN TO ALL OUR EPISODES
LISTEN ON YOUR FAVORITE PLAYER
SEE FULL TRANSCRIPT